Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Chijimi

I have been having cravings for chijimi, Korean pancakes, so I tried making them myself. I found a whole bunch of recipes online, and I experimented, but what came out didn't really taste the way I remember chijimi tastes. I wonder if this is actually the Korean name, or the Japanese name, because some of Korean food here in Japan has Japanese names for some reason. Speaking of Korean food, kimchi at the grocery store really sucks, and if you go to the actual Korean store, exported stuff is really expensive. I think toppoki (the rice cakes) cost twice here in Japan than they did in Toronto. I miss the Toronto Korean grocery store on Bloor street. Despite the fact that kimchi is not so good here though, I've been eating it a lot... go figure, I never ate it much at home, maybe because parents would evict me if I did, haha.
Anyways, since I failed at cooking chijimi, I have to ask my friends to teach me the proper recipe, since the ones on the internet don't work, and since I can't figure out by myself what I am missing. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I used leeks instead of chives, since I couldn't find chives in my grocery store for some reason.

Speaking of leeks, they are sold in humongous bunches (about 5 leeks, half a meter long), I used about a third of the bunch, now I need to figure out what to do with the rest.

Oh, and here is a picture of chijimi, so that you know what I am talking about. This is from the internet, I was too lazy to take pictures this morning.

No comments: