Thursday, May 28, 2009

9 Year Anniversary in Canada

Well strictly speaking, I am not in Canada, but none the less, this Monday, May 25th, marks 9 years since my family moved to Mississauga, Canada. It became sort of a personal tradition to look back and reflect on the move and its consequences for my life. Today I am a bit short on time, so I'll write the three important things.

First of all, only thanks to this move I am now living and working in Japan. For that I am very grateful. I have learned so many things this past year.

Secondly, if I didn't move to Canada, I would not have gotten an education in English. I am glad I did. I am also glad I went to such good universities, and that I studied Psychology. From what I heard, talking to my classmates in Ukraine, Psychology studies there are very different (they are more like philosophy, much less experiment-based). At least in my hometown unviersity... So I am glad I studied at the University of Toronto and in the University of Waterloo, those are really great schools.

Finally, if I stayed in Ukraine I doubt I'd get as technologically advanced and would have used Google and the internet in general nearly as much as I do now. In the 9 years that passed I learned so much from the internet, and I really can't imagine my life without it now.

So really, the bottom line is, I am very grateful to my parents for moving to Canada, because I am very satisfied with the life and the opportunities I have. There are so many things I want to do, and I can do them if I try hard, and that's amazing. Of course, like Jamie Zeppa from "Beyond the Sky and the Earth" said, "anyone can live anywhere, even you. For your kind information and necessary action please." But still, when someone asks me where I am from, I am very proud to say, "I am Canadian." (Of course I tell everyone that I am Russian too :D.)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Come back to Canada!! T_T