Friday, January 9, 2009

Library

Sigh, if I want to borrow a book I'd like to read on research in ESL education from a library, the closest library that has it is in Waseda University. In Tokyo...

I miss OISE library so much. I guess technically OISE library was about an hour and a half away from my house on public transit, and Waseda University library is just a bit further, maybe 2 and a half hours... except that's on the shinkansen, so it costs quite a bit of money, and I won't go to Tokyo just for that book, it's easier to buy it on Amazon.

I have to say though, I have not yet gone to a public library here in Japan, except for the one that Steph took me to. I am sure the libraries here are just as good as in Toronto. Guess I just miss having such easy access to a university library system though, and such an enormous one as at UofT.

Oh, actually, I read the website more carefully and it looks like there is a university in Nagoya that has this book too. Maybe I'll actually make a trip there one of the weekends, to check it out. Nagoya is a lot more accessible than Tokyo, and a lot cheaper to get there too. I guess it's pretty much like going downtown Toronto. Distance-wise it's pretty similar too, well a bit further, since it's about 80 km. I'll probably just buy the book on Amazon though, once I get paid, since it's the kind of book I'd like to keep.

No comments: