Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Google Translation Tools

I often check google translator when I blog in a language other than English, because I am curious if people who don't speak that particular language could read my posts.

So far for Japanese translation it's been doing a pretty poor job, it doesn't carry the meaning across at all... well, barely. I guess that's partly because my writing in Japanese is very poor. Translation from Russian into English is not bad at all though. Although, I only checked some easy technical term-related posts. Maybe it won't work so well with my other posts.

Anyways, it's pretty amazing how far mechanical translation technology has gone. Before one wouldn't dream of being able to read web pages in a language they don't speak, but now it's actually a pretty realistic task.

No comments: